0

Shoaib Akhtar to fight ban in court

Tuesday, April 1, 2008


Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akhtar said Tuesday he will fight a five-year ban imposed on him by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for violating the players' code of conduct.

"I am deeply disappointed and hurt. I will go to court and fight against the ban,"
Akhtar told a foreign news agency minutes after a disciplinary committee imposed the ban.

The 32-year-old Akhtar appeared before the committee earlier Tuesday, charged with publicly criticising the country's board in January for reducing his contract status.

He was already on two-years probation for hitting a teammate with a bat.

"I was demoted from central contract 'A' category, which was very hurtful and as a reaction I said something. I have apologised to the PCB, before the disciplinary committee and before everyone,"
Akhtar said.

"So I thought that they would take a lenient action, but this harsh decision has effectively ended my career. I still want to play for my country,"
he said.

PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf told reporters as he announced the decision that Akhtar was given several chances and since he was on two-years probation, the ban was justified.

Akhtar refused to accept Ashraf's claims that he was a negative influence on the team.

"Ask the captain (Shoaib Malik), ask coach Geoff Lawson and they would vouch for me. I had played with high fever on the India tour (last year), which proved my commitment for the team,"
Akhtar said.

"I bowl fast so I am prone to injuries, but I have given my heart, soul and body to this team. I know some vested interest did not want me to be the part of the team, but I will be back."

0 Responses to "Shoaib Akhtar to fight ban in court"

Will Pakistan Premier League gain success just like Indian Premier League ?