The Pakistan Cricket Board has served a legal notice on batsman Imran Farhat over his decision to join the Indian Cricket League after his omission from the Twenty20 squad for the World Championship. It has asked him to explain how he joined the ICL while he was still a contracted player and to substantiate his remarks at the time about the selectors.
"I have received this notice [on Monday] and my lawyer will respond to it appropriately," Farhat told Reuters. "I am not going to back down from my stand. I maintain I have not been treated justly - I asked them to release me from the central contract before signing up for the ICL."
The notice said Farhat had violated the terms of his contract by signing up to play elsewhere without obtaining the board's consent. Farhat has seven days to respond to the notice, failing which he will be taken to court.
"Even though Imran had requested for his exclusion from the central contract, the board still considers him on the contractual list which is why the opener was served a legal notice for levelling allegations on some of the PCB officials and the national selection committee," Shafqat Naghmi, the chief operating officer of PCB, said.
Farhat was on the tour of South Africa earlier this year but overlooked for the World Cup and the subsequent series in Abu Dhabi and Scotland. Though he was handed a central contract, he said he felt humiliated after being put in a Future Players Programme and being dropped from the Twenty20 squad despite being called for the preparatory camp in Karachi.
Farhat and two others - Mohammad Yousuf and Abdul Razzaq - who were also excluded from the Twenty20 event turned their backs on Pakistan and joined the ICL, a league which has not been recognised by the PCB or the ICC.