0

Shoaib Akhtar wants last crack at Australia

Thursday, June 28, 2007



LAHORE: Fit-again fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar wants to lead Pakistan’s attack against Australia early next year, saying that the world champions bring out the best in him.

The injury-prone 31-year-old paceman is back in the Pakistan team after missing the World Cup in the Caribbean earlier this year due to knee problems.


“My best comes against Australia. I am confident that I will keep fit and help my team beat Australia,”
Akhtar said.

The mercurial bowler, who played just one Test this year due to nagging injury problems, said he enjoyed facing India but added that playing Australia boosted his performances.

“It is always exciting to play against India. But Australia bring out the best in me,”
said Akhtar, whose last full series was against the traditional rivals last year. Pakistan are due to travel to India later this year.

“I am gearing up for the full season. I hope I keep fit and play a lead role, especially in our home series against Australia,”
he added.

Akhtar’s three appearances against Australia 1999, 2002 and 2004 each ended with Pakistan losing 3-0.
“I know my fitness will play a major part, but I am confident that I will play my role this season as we have three very important series,”
said Akhtar.

“This is the best I have felt in my entire career,”
said Akhtar, who had twin knee operations last year. He then damaged his hamstring on a tour of South Africa, where he was sent in as a reinforcement.

“I hope this is a new start for me and I will do my best to play continuous cricket. I know what is required of me in Tests as well as in One-day Internationals and I am ready to play my part,”
he added.

0 Responses to "Shoaib Akhtar wants last crack at Australia"

Will Pakistan Premier League gain success just like Indian Premier League ?