Shahid Afirid's Innings against Sri Lanka in Abu Dhabi, 2007
Monday, July 9, 2007
Court has no jurisdiction in doping case
Monday, July 2, 2007
The CAS panel said in a statement that the conclusion had been reached "with some considerable regret". Shoaib and Asif tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone in internal tests conducted by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) last year, and were banned for two years and one year respectively in November 2006.
However, a month later, both were controversially reinstated by a Pakistani appellate committee, prompting WADA to appeal to CAS in Lausanne. Dick Pound, the chairman of WADA, had told the BBC last December that the ICC - the game's governing body - was "a signatory to the anti-doping code" and that Pakistan, as a full member of the ICC, was bound by its rules.
However CAS, which set up a special panel to examine the issue, found that the PCB does not provide a right of appeal to the international sports court. Furthermore, it added, the ICC's code did not contain any rules that obliged the Pakistan board to allow appeals to CAS.
Shoaib and Asif were both removed from their country's squad for the World Cup in March and April, although the PCB insisted they had missed the event because of injuries. That explanation, however, was countered by Malcolm Speed, the ICC's chief executive, who said at the beginning of the tournament in March that the duo had escaped a drugs test by not being selected for the World Cup.
The PCB had announced beforehand that 11 of its 15-man squad and seven reserves had passed domestic, pre-World Cup dope tests, but Shoaib and Asif were left out of the testing.
Posted in: doping case, Muhammad Asif, Pakistan Cricket team, PCB, Shoaib Akhter, team Pakistan | 0 Comments | Email This
Shoaib Akhtar wants last crack at Australia
Thursday, June 28, 2007

LAHORE: Fit-again fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar wants to lead Pakistan’s attack against Australia early next year, saying that the world champions bring out the best in him.
The injury-prone 31-year-old paceman is back in the Pakistan team after missing the World Cup in the Caribbean earlier this year due to knee problems.
Akhtar said.
The mercurial bowler, who played just one Test this year due to nagging injury problems, said he enjoyed facing India but added that playing Australia boosted his performances.
“It is always exciting to play against India. But Australia bring out the best in me,”
“I am gearing up for the full season. I hope I keep fit and play a lead role, especially in our home series against Australia,”
Akhtar’s three appearances against Australia 1999, 2002 and 2004 each ended with Pakistan losing 3-0.
“I know my fitness will play a major part, but I am confident that I will play my role this season as we have three very important series,”
said Akhtar, who had twin knee operations last year. He then damaged his hamstring on a tour of South Africa, where he was sent in as a reinforcement.“This is the best I have felt in my entire career,”
“I hope this is a new start for me and I will do my best to play continuous cricket. I know what is required of me in Tests as well as in One-day Internationals and I am ready to play my part,”
