1 comments

Saqlain would grab England chance

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Saqlain Mushtaq, the former Pakistan offspinner, has said he would jump at the chance to represent England if the call came his way. Saqlain has a British passport through his marriage and qualifies in April as he begins another season with Surrey.

"If they [England] call me, definitely I'll play,"

he told BBC London.

"I've been discussing with my family and friends and they've all been saying 'Saqqy, if they give you the chance, definitely go for it'."

Saqlain hasn't played international cricket since 2004 when a serious knee injury threatened to end his career. However, following surgery he signed with Sussex - alongside former team-mate Mushtaq Ahmed - before rejoining Surrey for the 2008 campaign.

"To be honest, I love my cricket and I want to play at the highest level,"

said Saqlain.

"I've been thinking about it because last year the press asked me the question and I said I'm looking after my body and my form at the moment.

Saqlain, who has 208 Test scalps and 288 ODI wickets, adds that motivation wouldn't be an issue.

"If England needs you and asks you and you can't play with that passion, that's wrong. [But] If I'm playing for a national team, for a country, I don't want to lose."

1 Responses:

Webster Says:

that would be amazing to see saqi back in action. hes a world class spinner who was not backed by the paki board. now this is an exciting thing to see how he plays against his previous team mates. england need him more than we do. he must definitely avail the opportunity.

Will Pakistan Premier League gain success just like Indian Premier League ?